Personal Data that you provide to us:
- We will only collect and use your Personal Data where:
- We have lawful grounds to do so, including to comply with our legal obligations.
- We are performing a contract with you for our services; and
- We have legitimate interests in using your Personal Data and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We only collect Personal Data where you choose to interact with us on the Website in the following ways:
- When you sign-up to receive free content, including eBooks, videos and offers, we collect email address, first name and last name.
- When you purchase a book directly from us, we collect name, email address, phone number, any Personal Data which you provide to us in the free text box of the form and payment method choice (payment details are held by our payment processor, not us).
- When you complete the media enquiries form, we collect name, email address, phone number and any Personal Data which you provide to us in the free text box of the form.
Data that we collect automatically
We automatically collect certain information when you visit our Website – such as the type of browser and operating system you are using, and the domain name of your Internet service provider. We do not link this information with any Personal Data.
For the purposes of the EU General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”), we, karen-muir.com, are the “data controller”. If you have any questions about this policy or about how we use your Personal Data, please contact us via our contact details at the end of this policy.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to save your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Use of your Personal Data
We will only use your Personal Data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we use your Personal Data to:
- Process and manage your use of our website;
- Respond to your questions, comments and requests;
- Where you have opted-in to receive marketing from us, deliver communications that are relevant to your preferences / may be of interest to you;
- Improve our services and Website through analysis of information.
- When visitors leave comments on the site, we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- Akismet: Collects information about visitors who comment on Sites that use Akismet Anti-spam service. The information collected depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the Site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
- If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded content from other websites
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
- If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
How long we retain your data
- If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
- If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where your data is sent
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Sharing of your Personal Data
We take your privacy seriously and will not share your Personal Data with others, except as permitted by applicable law or as set out below:
We share Personal Data as necessary with third parties who provide services or functions on our behalf and who require the information to provide those specific services to us. These third parties may include social media advertising platforms, such as Facebook, for the purpose of custom audience generation and the development of targeting criteria for other audiences. Please note that we have appropriate data privacy safeguards in place with third parties with whom we share Personal Data as described above and who are providing services or functions on our behalf.
Keeping your Personal Data secure
We have implemented security policies and technical measures to safeguard the Personal Data we collect. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable law, including the GDPR, to safeguard Personal Data from accidental loss, destruction or damage and unauthorized access, use and disclosure.
Retention periods for use of your Personal Data
This Website and our services are aimed at adults, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Data relating to children aged under 15 years old. If you are under the age of 15, please do not provide us with any of your Personal Data, including your email address.
Access to and control over your Personal Data
You have legal rights under applicable law in relation to your Personal Data. You can ask the following questions, or take the following actions, at any time by contacting us via email: [email protected]:
- See what Personal Data we hold about you (if any), including why we are holding it and who it could be disclosed to;
- Ask us to change/correct your Personal Data;
- Ask us to delete your Personal Data;
- Object to the processing of your Personal Data;
- Ask us to restrict the processing of your Personal Data;
- Withdraw any consents you have given us to the processing of your Personal Data; and
- Express any concerns you have about third parties’ use of your Personal Data.
Change of purpose
We will only use your Personal Data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to have an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your Personal Data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.